Challenge: Missing Discounts
- Vendors sometimes offer discounts to retail buyers (i.e., a 10% discount for 50,000 televisions).
- Auditors manually comb through procurement emails to find offered discounts that the retailer never actually received.
- Manual auditors still miss about half of the total. One retailer estimates unrecovered savings at $280 million per year.
Solution: NLP Analysis
Use natural language processing to automatically analyze emails and find more savings.
Impact: Millions in Savings
- Auditors find relevant emails faster.
- Auditors find new recovery opportunities they may have missed.
- Retailers measure ROI by tracking the emails and recovery amounts attributable to machine learning.
Infinia ML can help you automate email analysis.
Email us to learn more.
- Emails from the procurement department. A retailer may have millions per quarter.
- A sample of emails relevant to a procurement auditor.
- Vendor list(s)
- Purchase orders/receipts
- API to accounts payable system
For one retailer, Infinia ML processed 20 million emails from a one year period and:
- Used unsupervised learning to surface emails that auditors wouldn’t see otherwise.
- Produced a temporal topic model to explore conversation topic changes with retail seasons. The model improved on open source topic modeling libraries.
- Built a visualization of email topics (see image above).